The American Civil War Museum located in downtown Richmond is seeking to hire several dynamic, customer oriented, Part-Time Visitor Engagement Associates (VEA) to join our team. This is an hourly position, with pay starting at $10/hour.
The VEA has the opportunity to interact with public audiences of all ages and backgrounds, both through the admissions process and informal interpretation in a visitor-centric working environment. As a member of the front-line engagement team, the VEA supports the work of the Museum by helping to foster a meaningful visitor experience at both of the American Civil War Museum’s two Richmond campuses: Historic Tredegar and the White House and Museum of the Confederacy. We offer a mentoring and career minded working environment with competitive hourly compensation.
The American Civil War Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are especially encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Greets, welcomes and provides an orientation to visitors.
- Provides front desk operations, ticket sales, and retail sales utilizing a Point of Sale (POS) register system.
- Supports the overall visitor experience of the ACWM by providing exceptional customer service, including concierge services, such as directions and recommendations for other amenities in the local community and/or arts, culture and history community.
- Up sells memberships to visitors, as appropriate.
- Delivers interpretive content informally using a wide variety of techniques tailored to each audience’s age, background, interests, and needs. Comfortable using appropriate hands-on activities to engage visitors in informal programs.
- Interprets the history of the Museum sites and the American Civil War. Presents informal interpretive programs.
- Continues to enhance knowledge of the Civil War, including reading established and emerging scholarship on the causes, course, and consequences of the Civil War and its legacies.
- Replenishes inventory, places reorders, processes purchase orders and shipments as directed.
- Engages with visitors in store to assist with purchases.
- Fulfills orders of online purchases.
- Collects and compiles visitor surveys and data as required.
- Monitors the site and exhibits for general visitor safety and security.
- Participates regularly in department meetings and staff meetings.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders in professional and courteous manner, including colleagues in other departments, volunteers, interns, and collaborators in the community.
- Assists museum administration with basic tasks as needed. Other duties or projects as assigned.
- A minimum of high school graduate.
- Demonstrated passion for history, education, and/or interpretation.
- Demonstrated experience communicating with a variety of public audiences in both formal and informal settings.
- Superior public communications skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to adapt quickly and positively to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which regularly includes weekends, evenings, and holidays. Approximately 20-25 hours weekly (two to four 7-hour days/week)
- Ability to perform physical tasks associated with the position, with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in varied weather conditions.
- Some college experience (or equivalent) in History, Education, Museum Studies, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience presenting programs at a museum or historic site setting, or classroom teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience providing engaging educational experiences to a wide variety of audiences using hands-on activities or other interpretive techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching in a formal or informal learning environment or format.
- Demonstrated front-line customer service experience at a museum, historic site, or public-facing environment.
- Demonstrated experience with a Point of Sale (POS) system
- Substantial knowledge of nineteenth-century American social and Civil War history developed through formal education, professional experience or personal study.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out our online application.
Please include a cover letter and resume when applying. Only those candidates who apply online will be considered. If you require assistance in completing the online application process, you may contact the Administrative Specialist by email.
This posting will remain open until the positions are filled.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK INS!