Reports to: Director of Marketing and Public Relations
The Digital Engagement Manager is a key member of the Marketing Department, which enhances the Museum’s sustainability by inspiring audience engagement, increasing public awareness, and cultivating opportunities for financial giving. Through these efforts, the Marketing team broadens and deepens the Museum’s audience and funding base for exploring the causes, course, and legacies of the American Civil War era. The team also enhances relationships between the museum, its audiences, and its partners and supports the desired impact of the Museum’s larger interpretive plan and strategic plan.
The Digital Engagement Manager will report directly to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations. The Digital Engagement Manager will be responsible for the responsibilities and tasks below, including additional projects and assignments given by the Marketing Director.
This role supports efforts to expand ACWM’s online presence and both grow and engage its audiences online through work with the broader Museum staff to promote individual department initiatives.
The American Civil War Museum offers an excellent benefits package and generous personal time off. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Candidates who bring diverse experiences, perspectives, and talents to the work are especially encouraged to apply. We believe that an inclusive culture among our staff is critical to implementing our mission to understand the Civil War era’s history and impact in our lives today.
To apply for the position, email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tactical execution of the marketing and campaign strategy and editorial calendar as directed by the Director of Marketing and Public Relations.
- Maintain and execute the correct tactics of the department calendar and ensure completion of projects, initiatives and staff assignments and meet the required deadlines
- Attend and participate in various department meetings to form and implement marketing strategies with the Marketing Director and other administrative staff
- Ensure all required and needed video, filming, and photography is implemented in the calendar with needed assignments to execute and complete these projects, including final editing and submission in a timely manner to meet predetermined deadlines
- Supports Marketing Department initiatives with the planning, executing, and tracking of marketing programs such as email, event, social media, or content marketing
- Supports audience development strategies in collaboration with colleagues in Marketing, Ayers Center (Education, Collections, Exhibits), Visitor Engagement, and the Foundation
- Manages and grows activity on social media channels and tracks results
- Assists in managing digital advertising campaigns
- Contributes to and supervises the Digital Marketing Coordinator on the e-Newsletter
- Maintain the Museum’s websites as directed
- Supervise and help maintain digital experiences to coincide with current exhibits or projects
- Supervise and provide support in retail and fundraising online operations as needed
- Supervise in G Suite maintenance
- Maintains current knowledge of best and next practices, trends, and scholarship in digital engagement and technology. Supervise planning teams and committees, especially institutional committees that impact digital engagement, audience development, and digital user experiences including monitoring other institutions to foster ideas regarding new or different approaches, within the region and state, as well as nationally, including digital initiatives to recognize donors and funders and funding of the museum
- Supervise and maintain WordPress and Google suite
- Supervise copywriting and proofreading
- Supervise and coordinate multiple projects with concurrent deadlines and maintain deadlines
- Supervise and direct reporting tools and analyzing related data as needed
- Contribute and help coordinate creative and strategic projects
- Supervise and maintain WooCommerce
- Supervise the use of Adobe Create Suite and/or Final Cut Pro
- Supervise and Maintain the use of HTML, PHP, CSS3
- Work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings
∙ Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Marketing, Communications, or related field, or 1-3 years of equivalent experience in Digital Marketing and Engagement.
∙ Working knowledge of WordPress and Google suite
∙ Superior verbal and written communication skills, including excellent copywriting and proofreading skills
∙ Demonstrated experience with various marketing platforms, channels, and best practices, including social, digital, and email marketing.
∙ Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to coordinate multiple projects with concurrent deadlines.
∙ Ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Must be a self-starter and able to independently move projects forward, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
∙ Demonstrated experience working with multiple stakeholders and/or partners on a project. ∙ Demonstrated experience in building out reporting tools and analyzing related data. ∙ Detail oriented, with excellent organizational and customer service skills.
∙ Ability to create creative and strategic projects.
∙ Work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings.
∙ Passion for History
∙ Experience working in a museum, cultural organization, or non-profit
∙ Experience teaching, interpreting, or facilitating content to a non-expert audience ∙ Experience with WooCommerce
∙ Working knowledge of Adobe Create Suite and/or Final Cut Pro
∙ Working knowledge of HTML, PHP, CSS3
About the American Civil War Museum
The American Civil War Museum is the preeminent center for the exploration of the American Civil War and its legacies from multiple perspectives. We are so much more than a collection of artifacts. We are storytellers and educators. In the battle against the all-too-human instinct to wish the past were simple, we’re exploring the unparalleled significance the American Civil War holds to complexities we face today.
We believe that understanding this period of America’s development is fundamental to understanding current society, culture, and who we are as Americans.
We maintain three unique sites: The American Civil War Museum – Historic Tredegar and the White House of the Confederacy, both in Richmond, VA; and The American Civil War Museum–Appomattox, in Appomattox, VA. In 2013, the American Civil War Museum was formed by the merger of the American Civil War Center and the Museum of the Confederacy. ACWM is a leading voice nationally in connecting people to the history and legacies of the American Civil War. Our new award-winning facility and exhibits opened in May 2019 at Historic Tredegar and house one of the country’s preeminent Civil War collections.