Teacher Advisory Council
Help guide the development of offerings for students and your fellow teachers and be part of the exciting evolution of the American Civil War Museum for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Come be a part of one of our two Advisory Councils
We are looking for teachers from around the Commonwealth of Virginia and across the nation who are interested in shaping how their fellow teachers and students engage with history.
We have many ambitious goals for the 2021–2022 Academic Year, which will require direct input from our Teacher Advisory Council. We are offering two councils, one to represent the teachers of the Commonwealth of Virginia and one to represent educators across the nation.
We will accept 12 members of the Virginia Teacher Advisory Council. 8 members will be from each of the eight VDOE Administrative Regions in addition to 4 At-Large Members.
The National Teacher Advisory Council will be limited to 12 members. There are no regional restrictions for membership of this council.
If you are interested, select which council you would like to apply to at the bottom of the screen. You will be directed to complete an application. Note that you may only apply to either the Virginia Teacher Advisory Council or the National Teacher Advisory Council.
The American Civil War Museum is looking for teachers who are interested in shaping how their fellow teachers and students engage with history. We are looking for educators who:
- Teach any grade level, but especially those who cover content related to the American Civil War.
- Are enthusiastic about helping our organization to create excellent, relevant, and useful offerings for teachers and their students, for use on-site at the museums and in the classroom.
- Can help shape our vision for how we want to best serve educators and their students.
- Are flexible, creative, innovative, and reflective.
- Attend bi-monthly meetings
- Can commit to 1-year participation, estimated at 20 hours total active time.
- Complimentary educator membership to the American Civil War Museum for 1 year, and all associated benefits of Museum membership.
- Upon request, a certificate or letter acknowledging participation for potential recertification points.
- Networking with fellow educators from around the Commonwealth.
- Opportunity to guide the development of offerings for all teachers and students utilizing both personal experience and professional best practice.
- Participants will receive a $200 stipend.
applications are closed as of November 6, 2021.
For questions, please contact Ana Edwards, Education Programs Manager, at [email protected].