American Enterprise: The Business of Slavery
Learn more about the business of slavery by exploring four historic documents from the United States slave trade. Four primary source documents showing slavery as a business in America: Insurance Document, Tax Receipt, Bill of Sale, and a Ship’s Manifest.
|Source||Smithsonian National Museum of American History|
|Dates and Eras||Antebellum|
|Themes||Slavery, African Americans|
|Standards||USI.8, USI.9, VUS.6|
- In what ways did Northern businesses uphold and support the domestic trade of slaves in America?
- Why did the domestic slave trade expand in the South in the 1800s?
- What factors may have caused people to be against the American Colonization Society?
- Why might abolitionists have been against the American Colonization Society?
- How was Southern infrastructure and order reliant on slavery?
- What are examples of different measures slaveholders took to ensure they were making a profit off of slavery?